Friday, October 5, 2012

FIFA, Pro Evo, FTL and other random musings

It's not fun being sick but it does leave me without excuses to post.

I'm writing for Maximum Pixelation - a very neat site about games. I've recently written a review for 10000000 ("10 Million") an iOS game that I am hopelessly addicted to. I have had many a numb-butt from sitting on the can far too long deeply engrossed in this game. You can check out my review on the front page of the site.

I'm also really digging an Indie game called FTL ("Faster Than Light") on the PC - it's best described as a Star Trek Captain combat simulator. You're a military ship trying to cross the galaxy and each jump results in a random encounter. In the battle encounters you have to juggle managing the controls for shields, engines, weapons and more. You also have to manage and direct your crew - there's a fire in engineering but the aft of the ship has been boarded and you also need someone to do repairs in life support - whom do you send where? While that's going on you have to manage your shields and weapons as an enemy ship bombards yours!

It's an absolute blast and, like "10 Million" it can be played in little bite sized sessions that are perfect when you're in a rush (though, much like that iOS game you may find yourself staying to play far, far longer than you intended).  What I also love about the game is the imaginary narrative about your ship's adventures that you no doubt start creating in your mind! I find myself drawn to Football Manager (PC) for the same reason. Both PC Gamer magazine and the website Rock, Paper, Shotgun have excellent pieces on FTL adventures that are definitely worth reading. 

This time of year brings football gaming and, unlike fans of the gridiron variety, connoisseurs of the beautiful game have a number of options. Most notable of these are FIFA 13 and PES 2013. I once made a name for myself writing absolutely massive and in-depth reviews of these kinds of games but I doubt anyone has the patience to read those kind of write-ups any more. I do think both games deserve some words because they are both absolutely phenomenal games and I'm trying to wrap my head around some kind of concise gameplay comparison between the two. Look for that either here or at Maximum Pixelation.     

X-COM and Dishonored both come out next week and that's another two games added to the list of things I want to play but don't have enough time to do so (but will anyway because, hey, who needs sleep?). I'm also really looking forward to Hitman: Absolution and Far Cry 3. Both of those games look incredible.

We'll talk soon. You bring the coffee next time....

Lavan

1 comment:

  1. Man, I do miss your long reviews of football games -- they were surely among the best articles I read on that subject during the PlayStation 2 era!

    Get well soon.

    Best,
    Emmer (from Soccer Gaming)

    PS. This comment system with mandatory login sucks.

    ReplyDelete