Thursday, February 9, 2012

Reckless Racing 2 (iOS)

Wow, another iPad/iPhone game and all this after I went on a rant about how I don't play that many mobile games......

I quite enjoyed the first Reckless Racing on the iPhone and Pixelbite recently released the sequel on the iTunes Store for five bucks. Since I'm a sucker for top-down racing games in the vein of Micro Machines I picked it up immediately and I'm glad I did.

One of the issues with the first Reckless Racing was that while the racing was a lot of fun, there was no structure to the game. You basically had a number of tracks and you could either do a single race, a hot lap, or a 'delivery' race. The game's sequel takes the same basic gameplay (to be honest I didn't notice that much of a difference in the racing itself) but adds new tracks, new cars and, most importantly, an excellent career mode. 

Much like Gran Turismo you start off with a small amount of cash with which to buy your first car, you can the race in one of the available Cups (each with several races) and earn prize money to either upgrade your car, buy a new one and also unlock more Cups. The career mode isn't super in-depth but it's enough of a structure to keep you more involved in the game. There are 24 new tracks - 6 different locations with 4 tracks on each.

Because of the warped (but wonderful for the consumer) economy of the iTunes store $4.99 can seem like a lot for an iOS game but if you're a fan of the first Reckless Racing I think it's definitely worth a look.

L

No comments:

Post a Comment