Thursday, September 10, 2009

FIFA 10 Demo (PS3) Impressions

After what seemed like forever Sony finally posted the FIFA 10 playable demo up on PSN. Some quick thoughts after six or seven matches;

i) Lots of new tackling animations and in particular last-ditch tackles and shot blocks. These are really neat and make the play even more dynamic around the box with more rebounds, blocks, and ricochets. There are more than a few times players will hurdle over a tackle and this will take them off stride - I`m not sure I`m totally keen on this. On one hand it`s neat that a player can dodge a tackle and keep his balance, but there were other times I would rather my player go to ground and win the foul.
ii) Player interactions (i.e. shoving/shoulder barge) graphically look very impressive but functionally I`m not noticing much of a difference.
iii) Ball physics are improved, the ball is less floaty than last year and the crosses are almost perfect now with a fantastic degree of whip with good players. For some reason the long cross-field balls still seem to hang up a bit in the air too long. Shooting is improved with more pace on the ball and I scored from outside the box once in those six matches.
iv) Again, I`ve only played six or so matches but I`m not seeing a massive differences in the dribbling and nothing as of yet groundbreaking with the `360 degree` dribbling.
v) Keepers are very agressive coming off their line but I`m a bit concerned that this might lead to more chipped goals as in those few games I think I saw at least four chipped goals.
vi) You can dribble around the keepers - I sold Cech on a beautiful step over and fake shot with Messi before walking the ball into the net.
vii) Response times are very good and at this point I`d say they`re as good as Winning Eleven without having those pinpoint turns on a dime.

That`s all for now, I`ll write more later but color me impressed. My favourite demo moment was when a CPU Ashley Cole took the ball of Messi and in response I tried to mow him down with a flying slide tackle using Toure and not only knocked down Cashley but followed through and hit little Messi as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment